Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Christmas...Advent... calendars... day 2

Michelle and Karen are with us today. Not only for their weekly 2013 calendars, but Karen also made a beautiful advent calendar.

Let's start with Michelle, who did not use the felt, but flock instead which gives a felt feel to your project. 

The page was very simply inked with TH Distress inks, then stamped with one of my all time favourite stamp sets - Katzelkraft Lace.
I cut a scrolly die cut and the heart die cut out of Woodware double sided adhesive sheet. After peeling the back off the scrolls I stuck them firmly to the page, removed the top paper and covered the sticky scrolls with black flocking, rubbing the flock onto the scrolls to make sure all the adhesive was well covered. The excess was brushed back into the bottle.
The heart was adhered to some kraft card and flocked in the same way then cut out. There are some lovely heart and scroll die on the website, so have a good look before you settle on one.
All I had to do then was to ink the calendar page and stick it in place.

TH Distress Inks - Old Paper, Frayed Burlap and Walnut Stain
Versafine ink pad - Vintage sepia
Katzelkraft unmounted rubber stamps - Lace
Cheery Lynn Designs Dies - Fanciful Flourish
Memory box die: Sofia heart

Karen created a beautiful heirloom that involved a lot of cutting, sewing and hard work. But the end result is beautiful, don't you think? She even glued some felt on the Tando numbers and cut them out! 

 I chose to use traditional colours for this & mix in a few brights but you could do this any colour way that you like! All my squares are 6cm square and I cut 24 from felt and 24 from patterned fabric. I hemmed 2 sides of the patterned fabric then folded them over the felt squares & pinned before sewing buttons on the keep the flaps in place.

The green cotton background is 36cm x 47cm. I placed the squares evenly and then machine stitched them on. Tucking under a small hem all round the green first, I then stitched this onto the red spotty background and added a bobbly border.

I used Tando Christmas numbers and covered them with felt. Its tricky to cut them out but worth the effort I think. Glue them in place with PVA glue, making sure that the glue isn't too wet or your pockets won't work!!!

I made 2 tabs for top and added brass rings to hang it by. Some colourful buttons were sewn around the green fabric and on the tabs
I used:

As its Advent Week I decided to stick with numbers for my background and ran the card through an embossing folder - Tim Holtz Texture Fades Bingo - after inking it up with Distress Inks in Brushed Corduroy & Old Paper. 
Then I lightly brushed a little Brushed Corduroy over the raised numbers. Using the star background in Dylusions Christmas Backgrounds set & Archival ink I stamped the felt for the bird (you need a fairly strong colour for this to show). The bird is die cut from the felt twice and layered with a different colour wing. The sentiment is stamped from PaperArtsy Hot picks 1005. To finish I very lightly edged the card in Brilliance ink to match the bird.

Tim Holtz Texture Fades Embossing folder - Bingo
PaperArtsy Hot picks 1005
Distress Inks - Brushed Corduroy & Old Paper

 Our special offer this week
Order any advent calendar from our site, 
It will be added to your parcel.

See you tomorrow


  1. All are wonderful but Karen's sewn advent calendar is totally fabulous and right up my street.

  2. Beautiful projects all but the work involved in the advent calendar is amazing.

  3. Fabulous projects love them all

  4. Love that black flocked heart and the bird on the bingo card is lovely.


We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.