Saturday 21 October 2017

Holiday Album


Holiday Album


Hallo There!

It's holiday time again and
what better time to see
Part 2 of Craftyfield's
Fauxdori Album.  

So without further ado
it is over to you Craftyfield:

"Last month I showed you a no commitment 
type of album, similar to Midoris,
 [read the post here

Rather than using blank pages or a 
standard notebook for my Fauxdori, 
I knew I wanted to use scrapbook papers
 to make mini albums for short holidays, 
weekend trips and the like.

I spotted the Kaisercraft Basecoat IV 
on the Craft Barn website and quickly 
snatched them in case they would go 
the same way as the previous Basecoat 
collections (out of stock everywhere...). 

To me they lend themselves to 
contemporary scrapbooks and particularly 
urban photos, therefore, perfect for 
the pages I had in mind. 

In this picture I show some of the
 papers and directly below, their reverse side. 
Notice how on the reverse of the label area
 (the bit you normally cut off) there are 
quotes printed.



I put together the pages (after cutting
 down to size) in the same way as for 
my Gelli prints/watercolour notebook I did 
last month.

More interesting than the 
paper album, however, are 
folders/inserts for the Fauxdori. 

A basic folder design starts by 
scoring horizontally a 12x12 paper 8" 
(or whatever your page length is),
 making a 4" flap that will hold 
memorabilia, photos etc... 

Then a vertical cut in the middle
 of the flap, or a narrow triangle
 can be cut out instead.


As you can see in this picture, 
I went further and used a die 
to give my folder an extra 
decorative detail.

I turned the paper over (it's double sided)
 and to prevent the contents from 
spilling out the sides, I make a fold 
by scoring at 0.5" left and right. 

By using the paper "sideways" and 
keeping the label I made a feature 
of the printed quote. 

On the flap I created in the previous step, 
I cut out the paper on the score line,
 as shown in the photo, bottom right. 

Do the same to the left.


You can fold the flap and glue it down, 
you now have a perfectly serviceable folder.

But... how about a second tier? 
Yes, a second paper cut down smaller 
(6" tall in my case) and die-cut in 
the same manner as the first one
 is just placed inside the folder
 and stuck in place with the side folds.


 This is how it looks all put together 
and with various item secreted in the pockets. 
Notice how I rounded the corners,
 including the "middle" (I used the 
corner rounder on the folded file folder). 

Rounding the middle, actually creates
 the perfect slot for the elastic that 
will keep the folder in place in the Midori.


There are more options and decorative 
ways of making these folders, a few of these 
are shown here. 

I have used decorative scissors 
(remember those?) to create 
the bottom flap opening.

I also jazzed up my second tier pockets 
by die-cutting the top with a skyline die 
and a Hello die.

You could also use your border and 
corner 
punches, as I said, plenty of options...
 look in your stash and go mad!


You want transparent folders to see 
what treasures you've put away? 
No problems, there are several solutions 
for that too. Use your imagination to
 turn items into folders. 

In this picture what you see is a
 plastic cover for school books 
(with a school book in it!) I picked up 
in France where they are de rigueur and
 readily available.  

I cut such an A4 cover in 2 and scored 
each half in the middle for an A5 size
 plastic folder.


Here's the pocket after scoring, 
with photos in it.

I later sealed the pockets by melting the
 plastic along the scoring line. 
You can run a stitch line instead 
with your sewing machine.

Of course you can use other plastic items 
to turn them into folders, think Zip-loc bags, 
page protectors etc...



 Here I cut flaps in an A4 page protector
 and created an horizontal seam halfway 
down the page and a vertical seam on the 
lower half creating an A5 and 2 A6 pockets. 

Excuse the rough look of this one, 
I made it from an already used and 
abused protector and will use it to
 hold some of my scraps.


 The inserts shown in the Midori, the plastic 
folder in the middle is difficult to photograph!



  From a different angle...


I hope this has inspired you to create
 your own Fauxdori, I'd love to see 
what ideas you come up with... "

Supplies:

Dies

You have certainly inspired me
Craftyfield.  What a fantastic
project Thank you for this and
for potentially saving us a small
fortune on an actual Midori

At this point I should make it clear
that Midori is a trade name and
Fauxdori is Craftyfield's clever
description of her Midori-like book

"Till tomorrow

Mickie xx























4 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing project with so much detail. It's gorgeous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are very cool papers, and I absolutely love those two-tier pockets you've created for your inserts. Fabulous!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The papers are beautiful and I love the decorative die cuts in the pages, they are such a lovely shape. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really an awesome and useful mini/journal. I loved seeing all the papers you used! Thanks for sharing with us at Mini Album Makers!

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.