Thursday 15 March 2012

Resistance is futile: masking fluid

Hello bloggers,
How about a bit of colourful Art Journaling today with Gio? She chose to use masking fluid as a resist. If there are any watercolourist out there, this is something you already have used for sure. 
For those who don't know it, it's a white liquid you apply to your paper where you want details to appear in white. You let it dry, then apply your colour (watercolour is one. I use mine on my coloured pencil drawings too) and then remove the masking fluid when you are finished.
Fun stuff to use, you should try it if you have not already. We sell the Artcoe Masking fluid.
Over to Gio now... enjoy!


To make this Art Journal page, I started to draw the sentiment and some doodles with a thin brush and the Artcoe masking fluid. After a couple of minute the fluid is dry and you can use watercolors, acrylic paint wash or spray inks on it.
I sprayed both pages with Cosmic Shimmer Teal, Lava Red, Mango Blush and Scarlet Mist. I rolled over the page a kitchen paper roll to dry the inks . I added more sprayed ink until I was satisfied with the result. Then the fun part: I just gently peeled off the masking fluid with a finger. Then I doodled the circles and added the journaling with a permanent Sakura Identi-pen: black. I glued to the second page the main image taken from a magazine. I stamped the background using the HP 1006 plate. I added the text using Crafty Secret Artsy Alphabet and Crimson Archival Ink.


I was eager to try the same technique using a rubber stamp instead of the brush, to make two little cards. I love the result, but don't use your favourite stamp, because even if you wash away the fluid immediately, it will still stain your stamp.
For the two cards: I covered a piece of page book with PaperArtsy Fresco paint Snowflake. I brushed the masking fluid on a script rubber stamp. I stamped over the gessoed page. When dry I sprayed some Cosmic shimmer on it using a square stencil ( I used one Crafty Individual chipboard frame). When dry I peeled off the masking fluid. I stamped the sentiment using Jet Black Stazon and Stampers Anonymous - Tim Holtz: Just thoughts rubber stamps.



Material
Artcoe Blue Bell spiral cartrige book: long edge A6
Jet black Stazon 
Stampers Anonymous - Tim Holtz: Just thoughts
Crafty Secrets: Artsy Alphabet 
Crimson Archival Ink
Cosmic Shimmer Teal Wash, Lava red, Mango Blush,  Scarlet Mist
PaperArtsy Fresco paint Snowflake







9 comments:

  1. Great technique and I love your journal pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful journal so colourful Izzy
    Well done
    Hugs Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the gorgeous colours on the journal page. I particularly like the cards as they are relatively simple but oh so effective. Thanks for sharing the techniques!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous journal pages and I think I have some masking fluid somewhere! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very funny and interesting way of playing with resist techniques, thank you Gio... I think i will buy this masking fluid ! Very beautiful AJ pages in result, whooom !!! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great technique, love the vibrant colours. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've got some masking fluid in the cupboard, never used it. brilliant technique and will be having a a play this weekend then. x

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.