Saturday 22 April 2017

Oxidised

Oxidised

Hi Everyone!

Good to see you
are you doing anything
exciting this weekend?

I'm off to Kit and Kaboodle
where we will be making a
Decorative Gardener's Seed Box

Hmmm.... can't help thinking there
should be some punctuation in
there somewhere..............!

Apropos Decorative - Louise Thomson
is here today with a cute piece of
home decor..........

"The basic plan:


A bit of good ol’ ink smooshing…


Followed by some yummy texture paste… (I know you’ve seen the stencil before but I do rather love it!)

Stamping some feathers in Distress Oxide ink on tissue paper while the texture paste dries…

It’s funny how techniques come and go. 
I was about to painstakingly cut around 
these and try to give them a soft feathery 
look at the same time when I remembered
something I used to do with mulberry paper a lot…


A quick wizz around the shapes with a wet paintbrush and 30 seconds later…

Presto! Muchos time saved 😃

Back to the canvas....
and it is time to really start having fun. 
Plenty more ink added (mostly vintage photo, walnut stain and peeled paint) I also used a wet baby wipe to take back some of the ink in places to create more variation.

Adding water is what really makes the 
oxides come alive… 
suddenly they spread revealing a whole host 
of the colours they are made up of.




Starting to get really involved now… 
I add some brushos. 

Initially on top of the wet canvas, 
then after it has dried I add more 
before splattering with more water.



Now completely carried away, 
out comes the white gelly roll pen
 (another staple favourite) 
for a bit of doodling.



No shortcuts this time 
I stamp and cut around two birds 
from the Bo Bunny set. 

Distress Oxides make a lovely paint too- 
I just smooshed a bit on my non-stick mat
and picked them up with a wet paintbrush.


Remember the feathers? –
 time to add them back in. 

I tried using pva but being a 
water based glue it made the
ink run. 

For take-two I used pritt stick
and it was fine. 

Also added in at this point are
branches adapted from the 
wildflowers die set and coated
in more Oxide ink.



‘Lifted’ with a handwritten sentiment on 
scraps of card with fossilized amber Oxide ink 
blended on and broken china 
splattered over the top.


And just when I thought I had finished 
I suddenly found myself with the 
white gelly roll pen in hand again 
and thus a border was added!"




Thank you Louise
for a beautiful canvas
Love the depth you have
achieved in the woodland

Don't know about you
guys out there but I love
the way Louise lets us in
to her creative process


'Till tomorrow

Mickie xx









13 comments:

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.