Tuesday 15 May 2012

Faux finishes week: Marble

Hello, 
Now this is the one project that made me go "wooow" when I saw it. It REALLY looks like marble (or slate even?), doesn't it? 
IsasArt's magical hands are the key to success on this one, but I'm sure that with her step by step instructions, you will have a lot of fun trying this one out. Don't forget to come and show us afterwards!



I started with a cardboard tag which I covered with Gesso first and then black paint.
Using a brush and a sponge, I applied a couple more colours: green and yellow. I alternate layers of both shades, sometimes quite dense, sometimes just a wash.
Once I am happy with the background, I focused on the details with white and ochre applied with a fine brush.
I then decided to add a framed picture on my tag


I embossed my image in gold on a black card, covered some wooden sticks with rub-on paints
et voilà
(she makes it sound so easy, doesn't she?)


Materials
Die Tim Holtz Alterations: Movers and Shapers Large die Tag and bookplates
Stamps: CI-335, CI-231 + Butterfly Kisses "Madame Chic"
Americana paint: White, Antique white, Antique gold, Hauser medium green, Black
Versamark ink - Black Versafine - Distress inks: Walnut, black - Brilliance ink: gold


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful technique. I use a very basic faux marble finish of a crackle stamp used with 2 different inks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wondrful.

    Hugs Riet.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great technique Isa and looks so classy on your tag!
    X Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats an amazing look that I haven't tried....yet! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful effect - really realistic! I knew someone once who did a faux marble effect on all her kitchen cupboard doors. The final veining was done with a fine feather dipped in paint, and rubbed the wrong way along the surface, so that the feather tended to splay out and spread the paint in random streaks. Most effective!

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yees Shoshi, traditionnaly details are done with feather to get more realistic :-)
    Thank you for all your comments here and on my blog. Enjoy ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.