Friday 6 September 2013

Background layering week - Karen

Hi, 
Another approach to layering with masking today with Karen who chose to decorate some little ceramic tiles using Brilliance inks. 
Karen used Impression Obsession Craquelure and Pine Trees




I thought for a change that I would decorate some of the tiles that we have in the shop.  (got to start thinking of Christmas presents at some point).  I really didn't know what to expect as it was a first for me but I was very surprised.  I found that most paints work on them as they come to you unglazed.  For the idea that was going through my head I decided to go with Brilliance Inks as they give a slight sheen when dry and mix well.  If you are worried about which paints then have a play on the backs. 

The Impression Obsession Cover-a-Card stamps are lovely to work from - really deeply etched,  firm to handle and there are loads to choose from.  I found it easier not to use an acrylic block this project.  
Ink up the Pine Trees Cover-a-Card Stamp with Brilliance Ink. 
I used Rocket Red, Crimson Copper, Pearlescent Lavender and Pearlescent Rust.



Stamp onto the tile and also onto some scrap paper. 
Cut out the paper image to make a mask.  You don't have to be too fussy with the cutting.  Place the mask over the trees and hold in place with some masking tape.  
Now ink up the Craquelure Cover-a-Card stamp with Brilliance Inks in Pearlescent Thyme, Pearlescent Ivy and Pearlescent Olive.  
Stamp over the trees onto the tile.

 Allow to dry thoroughly.  
You can use a heat gun on these tiles but use a slower/cooler setting.  
Now stamp a word from the PaperArtsy JOFY Stamps Set 11 onto the tile and go round the edges with inks.  Please make sure that your tiles are totally dry before you add the PaperArtsy Fresco Gloss Glaze - I left mine overnight and thought I was safe but I still had a little smear.  Cover the backs with felt and you are done.  
I think I shall be making more of these!  They are inexpensive and would make lovely presents.



Karen used
Impression Obsession Cover-a-Card Stamps - Craquelure and Pine Trees
Brilliance Dewdrop Inks - Pearlescent Thyme, Pearlescent Ivy, Pearlescent Olive, Rocket Red, Crimson Copper, Pearlescent Lavender and Pearlescent Rust
Country Love Crafts -  4" Tile

See you tomorrow

6 comments:

  1. These are lovely. Wouldn't have thought to stamp the crackle over the image. Usually use it as a background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the use of these two beautiful cover-a-card stamps together, combined with your brilliance inks Karen !!
    Gorgeous work and great idea of Christmas gift indeed ! Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!I'm a new follower and I see only beautiful works here! Thank you for your inspirations!!! DanielaC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, love those tiles, great combination of stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Who wouldn't love to receive these as a Xmas gift. I know I would. I should make my 9 year old grandson some for a Xmas stocking gift. He is so funny...he won't have a drink without a coaster and makes sure that anyone that comes to my house gets handed one. He would love these...thanks for the inspiration and gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful idea and the tiles are really pretty!
    sandy

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.