Monday 2 September 2013

Background layering week - Neil

Hi everyone, 
This week we are going to talk about background layering... different techniques on how to layer your stamps to create your backgrounds without making them too "busy".
The DT has been using the lovely Impression Obsession Cover-a-Card stamps which are perfect for these techniques
So let's start with Neil, and a super way to create a gorgeous background (and foreground) using different layering techniques (masking / acetate)
Hope you enjoy this

Neil used the two following stamps for his background




I used my two favourite Impression Obsession Cover a Card stamps on a Kraft tag to create my background.

 This is my favourite way to combine these stamps into a background. I began by tearing a piece of paper diagonally across and laid one piece down covering part of the tag and stamped the top section in Gathered Twigs Distress Ink. I removed the paper and covered the section I'd just stamped with the other piece of paper and stamped this section in Aged Mahogany Distress ink.
I blended the edges with the same inks.
Then I cut a tag (Well 2 actually) out of acetate and using StazOn ink (brown) I stamped the Gentleman just off the left side. The sentiment is using Tim Holtz Chit Chat stickers.

Using the second acetate tag and black StazOn I stamped the second chap. I love the layering effect that the acetate gives without hiding any of the background.
I cut one of the Tim Holtz pediments from chipboard and coloured it with Aged Mahogany Distress Ink and attached it to the top acetate tag with double sided tape.
Something was missing so I added the metal charm which I felt finished everything off well.
All 3 pieces were then tied together with some ribbons to create a fun.stylish tag

 I love these images, to me they are classic and perfect for many different projects, from Sherlock Holmes, to Victorian England.........
I enjoy tags, they are a great size to work on and experiment with but I often get asked about what I do with them afterwards? Well, they can be used on greetings cards or used to jazz up a gift. Many of mine end up in my art journal; like this one I think will look cool here

Neil used
Impression Obsession - Ornate Floral and Geologic
Tim Holtz - Time Travelers
Sizzix Pediments Die
StazOn - Black and Brown
Distress Inks- Aged Mahogany and Gathered Twigs


See you tomorrow


7 comments:

  1. Wonderful tag and great use of the stamps--a real inspiration

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this site, it's very inspiring ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great layering Neil, Always a fan of using acetate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great background (beautiful stamps)...and I love the effect of the layered acetate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great layering and those stamps look great !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh fabulous background stamps used with stunning results great layering.

    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been meaning to stop by and say how much I love the background made with those stamps Neil - stunning. The colours are beautiful too.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.