Wednesday 27 September 2017

Drunken Chalks

Drunken Chalks


Hi Everyone!

We've reached the end of the month
already!  To celebrate I thought a bit
of alcohol might come in handy......
......no, not that sort of alcohol.......

Jane Castle will explain.....

"Morning to you all, today I'd like to share
 my attempts/experiences at trying
 this wonderfully named procedure 
"Drunken Chalks", what a fab name! 

I had a play with various cardstock
 before making this greetinge card.



To begin with I used white glossy cardstock
 as my base and the coloured inks are all
 Versa-Magic.


The 3 chalk inks are Sea-Breeze, Pink Petunia 
and Pumpkin Spice. 

These were then sprayed with Isopropyl Alcohol,
 which I'm assured is vertually the same as 
Rubbing Alcohol. 

These began to merge into each other 
forming some lovely blends. 

Then once completely dry I stamped my
 Encore Metallic Gold ink pad over the whole
 card and sprayed on more alcohol. 

This initially looked quite dark but when it 
had dried was much lighter.


For my second piece I used Sage, Mango Madness
 and Ocean Depth with the gold ink to finish.

Feeling a bit more confident now---- 
decided to try some black glossy cardstock 
as my base!


I used the same 3 inks as the first card 
and then used silver metallic ink to finish. 

The metallic shine didn't come through
 as strongly on this ---- maybe
 the colours underneath were a bit too bold.

Now for my last experiment, I had a small 
piece of homemade fabric paper left from 
a previous project. 

( This is extremely easy to make and there 
are various videos available to watch) 

As this has a non-porous coating of 
watered down PVA glue on the surface thought
 it would be worth a try.


The colours used were Sea-Breeze, Mango Madness 
and Perfect Plumeria with silver metallic to finish. 

This dried the quickest and had the best sheen.


Now onto the greetings card,
 I decided to use the 1st, 2nd and 4th pieces 
for my flowers. The smallest flower is the fabric paper. 
I drew around the stencil on the back of my 
coloured card and then cut the flowers out. 
This hasn't got to be very precise!


Then using the smaller flower stencil
 inked the centre design in Walnut Stain DI.



These were then brushed with Cosmic Shimmers
 Red Bronze Mica Powder.

 You can see in this photo the difference 
in the shine of the glossy card and the fabric paper.

Then onto the card blank--
 the flower stems were stamped in 
Peeled Paint DI using a stamp from Jofy 38,
 the small squares stamped in the Sea-Breeze
 and Sage.

 Finally the sentiment was stamped in Perfect Plumeria.


Finally screw head brads were added to the
 flower centres before attaching with Pinflair Glue.


I hope you will give this technique a try 
as it's fascinating to see how the different 
colours react. 

Thanks for stopping by today
 and have a good crafting week."

Items Used

Isopropyl Alcohol/ Rubbing Alcohol


You really had fun with this
one Jane - Many thanks


Apropos the Isopropyl Alcohol -
this is available from the Chemist.
You could of course substitute the
Gin.................!!

'Till tomorrow

Mickie xx






5 comments:

  1. A beautiful card. I love the subtle patterns and sheen on the flowers xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab tutorial, loved your comment about the gin too!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shine! I need to try this technique ASAP... but without the gin, I need that more than the inks do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comments ladies, I certainly enjoyed exploring this technique and I think it's definitely worth having a go. Have fun X

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.