Saturday 11 July 2015

Altered Book - Dawn Heald




Hi everyone,

This is our second day of the projects 
Altered Book

Today is Dawn's turn...

When I saw this topic I had so many ideas it was difficult to
 choose just one idea. You can make boxes, secret niches,
 shelves, open scrapbooks just to name a few. So I decided
 make an art journal and have a go at the finnabair style for
 the cover. It really is easy to make your own journal.


                  Take a hard back book and with a craft knife remove the 
                inner pages. This can normally be done with just two cuts at
                                            the front and back.


Next cut away the spine with craft knife and ruler. Keep this it
 makes a good bookmark for your journal.


Then make a template for the book binder holes. Keep this as it
 comes in handy when hole punching your journal pages. Cut a piece
 of scrap card the same length of your book, measure and mark
 where you want the holes to go and use a hole punch to make
 the holes.
Then place your template on the book cover and punch through
 the holes already made. Repeat for back cover.
You can guess and punch the holes by eye.



             To create pages for my journal I trimmed some backgrounds
                    made previously, trimmed the book's original dust cover, 
                   and trimmed and glued multiple book pages together and
                      trimmed some single pages then hole punched them. 
             I even started some pages whilst painting this and other projects.


Then it's time to decorate the front cover. Even though most
 of the stamping ended up hidden I still enjoyed the process.
Here is how I did mine.
                

I glued a few layers of torn kitchen roll, let it dry then applied
 two coats of gesso and dried.


Using some Maya Road Spring papers I cut small pieces
 and glued to three areas as shown. Great way to build
 texture in.


I hand rolled some Kaisercraft Texture Stamps and the 
small flower from the Crafty Individuals set on this with 
various Stazon inks.


Then used grunge paste through diamond stencil in a few
 areas. Let dry then glue on some odd die cuts
 here and there.


I Painted some sticky back canvas with flesh colour acrylic
 paint mixed with white. Leave to dry.
Stamp and paint the main image. I changed the hair slightly.


Trim the shape and attach to the cover. Paint it with Ultra Matt
 varnish and then use hot glue to attach a variety of 
embellishments and found objects and shapes from molds.


My metal scrunched flowers are the foil from chocolate coins
 at Xmas.
 Oh forgot I'd glued some lace on there too. Some pieces
 I had previously gesso'd.


I covered the girl image and painted the entire page
 with white gesso. 


I then painted some pieces to stand 
out more.
That was the idea anyway!


Finally I sprayed the entire cover with the Prima Flower 
Bloom sprays. 






 Dried with heat tool and sprayed another
 layer. Dried and coated with gloss varnish.

This is what Dawn used -

From stash
Odd die cuts and lace pieces
 Found objects, beads


So, what do you think, are you going to have a go?
We'd love to hear your comments!

I'll be back tomorrow with another challenge.

Jane x

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful profusion of textures and colours on your cover! Very Finnabair, bar the colours (hers are darker).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you got it inspired by finnabair, Dawn style lol

      Delete
  2. Fabulous result colourful and intricate xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous project thank you, and I love the way you have used this Frida stamp, gorgeous!! Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful texture and colours. I love the new version of the stamp!

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.