Monday 4 February 2013

Oriental week - Neil

Hi, 
Next Sunday, February 10th, will be the Chinese New Year, so we thought about doing an oriental week. 
I have published over 800 posts on this blog (plus the ones on the previous blog), so to be honest, I don't remember them all LOL. But... I don't think we have ever done an oriental week. So here goes. 

This year is the year of the SNAKE. I can imagine some cringing just reading this name LOL. But, I have read that ancient chinese wisdom says a Snake in the house is a good omen because it means your family will not starve. Seeee, not so bad after all (I love snakes...).
2013 is not "my" year, as I am a rooster. Do you know what you are? you can check it out HERE.

We have a lot of oriental themed products in our store, as this is always very popular... Here are just a few...  

Kanban stamps




 Artemio stamps




 or Hobby Art stamps








Today, Neil is using the Dreamweaver dragon stencil I mentioned above to alter a cigar box he was given a while ago.. 
Love this box and I'm looking forward to your comment to read what you think.


When I was looking for inspiration my eye fell on this cigar box and I suddenly thought that the patterned paper around the edges looked pretty oriental to me so I started off by creating the top by using the Dreamweaver dragon stencil with Pearlescent embossing paste on black card. I then added some of the dry Stickles to the surface and left to dry. Once dried I added it to the top of the box. While I was doing this I realised that the glitter was shedding of a little so I covered everything with a layer of matte multi medium. It kid of dulled everything down, spread a little of the glitter everywhere but I like the way it made the surface look a little like slate rather than black card.




I ran a strip of self adhesive metal all around the sides of the box and then used Alcohol ink to colour it and the exposed areas of the box too.
I added a metal clasp to keep it closed and added a couple of Chinese coins to the lid too.




 To finish I used the "fringing" from the bottom of a Lynn Perella stamp on the side edges of the box

Materials
Stamp LPC009
Alcohol inks - Sunset Orange, Red Pepper and Bottle
Dreamweaver Dragon Stencil and Pearlescent Embossing paste
Stickles dry fine glitter - Star dust
Woodware Chinese coins

See you tomorrow


5 comments:

  1. Just love the dragon. The use of the metal band and stamps is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow big time, I love it big time Neil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super box Neil and Japanese art is my love! I belong to the Oriental Stamp Art Yahoo group....going to love this week! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple, beautiful, elegant. Lovely

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.