Wax, Paper & Acetate
Fancy a little break from the
festivities? A moment for yourself?
Here's a project from Craftyfield:
Acetate is a sure way of introducing something different
in your card making and there are plenty of ways to play
with the transparent aspect of it but
today I chose to use it as my card base.
To cut the base card I folded my A4 sheet of acetate
in 2 and placed the fold within the cutting line of the square die.
To hold it in place I use Removable tape.
I wanted to emboss the sides of the card and used
a narrow embossing mat with a wall texture embossing folder
I cut this one from a large size embossing mat
and I have found useful to have small mats in
different shapes to do partial embossing such as this
Another fun technique with embossing folders
is using them with Wax paper.
I embossed a wood texture in the wax paper.
The photo is showing that I am
wrapping the paper inside a folded A4 sheet of standard paper.
This is because wax paper is very thin and will tear if embossed on its own.
If you wish, you can use a single piece of cardstock instead
and save it for another project
Next I created a sandwich with from bottom up:
The card for the project
The wax paper
A spare piece of cardstock
I wrapped the sandwich in greaseproof paper
(or baking sheets) to protect my iron.
Since I only wanted the design on the edges,
I used a scrap piece of paper as a mask,
identifiable in the photo by the green blob.
I then ironed the sandwich using a cotton setting but NO STEAM.
It only takes 30 seconds for the wax to melt onto the paper
With the mask still in place I applied
Distress inks over the melted wax design.
I used a piece of plastic packaging as additional
protection chosen because it is see-through.
With the borders inked, I proceeded to the stamping
of the Dandelions, not with ink but with Judikins Micro Glaze
which is a paraffin wax (i.e petroleum jelly).
This will resist any waterbased mediums applied later.
I used my finger to apply the wax, be sure to go lightly to catch only the top of the stamp for a reasonably defined design
I sprayed water on my cardstock and started sprinkling
Brushos in black and blue around the Dandelions heads.
I kept adding powder and water until I was happy the
Dandelions were “revealed”
Next I assembled the card. For a perfect finish I needed
3 additional pieces of cardstock,
all the same size as the decorated panel.
This way there is no glue showing and
of course there is somewhere to write the message!
Clockwise I glued the decorated panel with
double sided tape to avoid any glue
spoiling the front of the card.
The second piece is easy to place by gluing it
on the back of the decorated panel (not shown).
For the third piece (the message panel), I
used removable tape to temporarily
adhere on top of my second piece.
I applied the glue
(I used liquid just to give myself a bit more working time),
closed the card on top of the panel.
When the glue has dried open the card and
remove the temporary adhesive by
rubbing with your fingers or an eraser
Finally the fourth and last panel is glued to the back.
It can be left bare for additional writing space or decorated as well.
A closer look at the Dandelions
Hmmm.......... I had wondered what an iron was for! Haha!
Thank you Craftyfield that is a super card
with just the right amount of crispness for a
cold winter's day
See you all tomorrow folks...