Hope your week is going well
and you are ready for a little
Jane Castle is here to get us
started with the new
"For my project today I decided to make
a card for the boys and I have to say
I really enjoyed putting this one together.
It wasn't the easiest to photograph unfortunately
but I think you will get the general idea of depth
and movement as we proceed through the stages.
To begin with I started with a 15cm x 15cm
card blank, place this on your work top so that
the fold of the card is in front of you
rather than on the lefthand side.
Then about half way from the fold
make a score line each side of about 5cm in length.
Join the 2 scores up with a shaped cut,
I cut around a saucer using a craft knife.
Then open and fold on the score lines only.
Now you have a card front that with stand up
when opened but will still lay flat for placing in an envelope.
Then using the new Tim Holtz Thinlits Cityscapes dies
I proceeded to cut various houses, trees, cars, washing etc.
If like me you have a box of small off-cuts of card
that you think will come in useful one day --
Today is that day!!
I decided to put together several houses before
assembling the card so I could try various combinations.
Some parts are really quite tiny and I found
when glueing together it was easier to squeeze
some glue onto an acrylic block and dip the
parts into the glue holding them with tweezers.
If any glue went inbetween the holes
just a light tap on the side of the block
seemed to remove it.
Although each house has it's own components
it is easy and great fun to customize each one
to your own liking.
Having assembled one of the cars I then
had a moment of madness and made a
shrink plastic smiling face for inside
For this I used the frosted shrink plastic
and coloured the back with a dot of pink
for the cheeks before shrinking.
For the card to stand up it needs something
to tuck the front edge under so for this
I made a Happy Birthday greeting out of
Kraft card and Distress Oxide inks
This was then cut to size and mounted onto
some black Mirri card and attached
to the card with foam pads.
The card blank was also coloured
with the same inks.
Then it was a case of trial and error in deciding
where each piece went to create a scene.
Once everything was glued in place I cut
a piece of acetate 5cm wide and longer than
I knew I needed and attached the aeroplane
to one end. I fiddled around adjusting the length
but wasn't completely happy with the way
it was hanging --- I felt it needed more weight.
I then cut another aeroplane and stuck this onto
the back so that the acetate was sandwiched and
hey presto it now had enough weight to keep the
acetate hanging over the rooftops.
There is such a wonderful amount of detail
to these die sets that I can see they will be
an asset to anyones crafting toolbox."
Tim Holtz Thinlits Cityscape Commute and Suburbia
Cosmic Shimmers Acrylic Glue
So nice to see a card idea for the boys
Thank you so much Jane
These dies might become a little
addictive! Shall have to wait and
see how the week progresses before
I get my dies out...............!!