Today another gift under £20, completely different this time, but very nice indeed and perfect for a man.
Neil made this very big book (when you think of the size of the wreath), and would make a wonderful gift for an artist friend.
I started out by planning to make something with the Tando Christmas wreath. The end result does use (part) of it, just not what I started out to do ! But that is part of the fun I guess.
For this week I've made a large sketchbook/ Art Journal. I love making books and this was a fun one. When I say large it's about A3 and I've used watercolour paper for the pages and chipboard for the covers. I've made it all but there is nothing to prevent you from altering an existing sketchbook.
Once I'd put the basic book together using the bind it all. I covered the spine with binding cloth and taped it down. Then I added crumpled tissue to both sides and used layers of paint to colour.
After that was dry, I added some areas of Distress Embossing powders, stamping and gilding paste to add both texture and richness.
I cut 2 hinges from grunge paper and 1 from grunge board (For the clasp) and attached to the spine using large brads that were distressed with Distress embossing powder. I pulled them fairly tight so the pull the binding cloth closer around. I like the look it gives.
I added the clasp by attaching the hinge to the back cover, bringing it around to the front and marking where it would close (I kept it fairly loose so that pages and stuff can be added to the journal and it would still close)
I attached a hitch fastener to the front for the hinge to fasten on to and glued a grunge keyhole over it. (all the grunge elements have been painted in golds and browns.
For the main cover embellishment I took the Tando wreath and firstly added old papers to the base and ripped off leaving random pieces. Everything then painted with paint dabbers and wiped down, including the top rings. I then chose the element of the wreath I wanted to use and cut it off. I stamped the images and words onto the base and the texture stamp onto the top. I covered the base with a 3D glaze and laid the top over it and filled the apertures with small watch bits and other charms so they would stick into the glaze.
Distress embossing powder - Antique linen and Walnut Stain
Americana paint - Burnt Sienna and Raw Umber
Stamps TH Steampunk, Warehouse District and Mixed media
It's Gift week, so we have a gift for you :)
This week we have a prize draw feature across the blog, newsletter, Facebook and Twitter
Three vouchers are up for grabs: £25, £20 and £15.
It’s easy to enter, simply place an order on line with us. Everyone who places an order between 9th and 15th November will automatically be entered into the draw and at the close three lucky people will be drawn at random to win the vouchers
See you tomorrow