Wednesday 12 June 2013

Around the world - Neil

Hi guys, 
Neil is with us today and he is already in holiday mode I think, or at least getting ready for it... 
He used one of his very own book covers (the ones he designed for Tando Creative) to make a travelling journal.




Pack your cases folks, it's almost holiday time! Don't forget to "pack" your journal too!
I made a journal "suitcase" to pack in all my holiday memories. Here's how...

I started off with the Tando Creative/Neelzexpressionz Nuts and Bolts book cover kit. I put the nuts and the spine to one side as I didn't need them for this and covered the fronts and sides of the other bits with a coat of Gesso.

Once this was dry I covered the front and back cover with Vintage Photo Distress Paint and dried it with a heat gun. Then I added some Walnut Stain Distress paint around the edges and randomly across; spritzed a bit of water and blended it with tissue to add a different tone.


While that was drying I took a couple of pieces of white card cut to size for the inside end papers and began to stamp and ink with Distress inks to create my background paper. Using the Travel Labels plate I Inked and blended in this order - Tea Dye, Shabby Shutters, Aged Mahogany and Gathered Twigs.
Lastly I used Olive Archival ink to stamp the plane and random bits of the map from Warehouse District. A spritz and blot of water to add some aging and they are ready to attach to the covers. 



I used Distress Metallic stain to colour the strips (Brushed Pewter on the bottom, Burnished Brass on the top and added some Walnut Stain Distress ink to age up a bit.


When everything was dry I glued everything up and then, using double sided tape and scraps of leather (Thick brown card would work just as well) I made the corners of my "suitcase" I used the Crop-o-dile to punch holes and assembled everything with a couple of book rings as I wanted to be able to add pages if needed. I added some "scuff marks" with Black Soot Distress ink.
I also stamped and inked some travel labels onto card, cut out and added them to the covers.
I did make one pocket page for the journal already with a couple of tags inside and before I go on holiday I'll cut more blank pages and pocket pages ready to fill with my holiday journaling, postcards, leaflets etc!

Materials
Tando Creative/Neelz Expressionz Nuts and Bolts Book cover kit
Stamps - Travel Labels and Warehouse District (Tim Holtz)
Distress inks - Tea Dye, Shabby Shutters, Aged Mahogany, Gathered Twigs, Black Soot and Walnut Stain
Distress Paints - Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain
Distress Stain  - Brushed Pewter and Burnished Brass
Archival ink - Olive

See you tomorrow








2 comments:

  1. A great tutorial and the wood grain effect cover looks really good. Might have to try that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project! Although there were bits and pieces on the top picture that I was wondering about. Where are they put? :^) patsy

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.