Monday 24 June 2013

Music week - Guest Designer Lina McDermott

Hi, 
Hope you had a great (crafting) weekend.
Told you the other day that Lina would be back for a second week, and here she is with a beautiful, bright and fun card to illustrate our new theme this week: MUSIC!
Our DT has been very creative as you will discover throughout the week and made some fantastic samples to inspire you.

Let's start with Lina. Here's how she made her card.


When I heard that the theme for this week was to be Music I immediately thought of Andy Skinner’s Hippy Chick stencil.
I thought disco and dance and these girls are brilliant, just right for this.
To start, I used Studio multi medium matte to stick down Tim Holtz's Melange tissue wrap onto a 20x20 cm canvas board.  I didn't have the Composer tissue wrap (this would be ideal – on my shopping list of must haves…) but this is an amazing product you can tear or cut areas that you want and create great collages. 

 I then painted another layer of the gel medium over the top of the tissue wrap and dried this with a heat tool.  When dry, I painted a thin wash of gesso over the surface and wiped off any excess with a baby wipe so that I could still see the tissue underneath. I dried this with the heat tool.
I wanted the girls to look as though they were on a dance floor and so to create this effect I drew a grid to give the artwork depth and perspective.
I selected an area of my drawing and cut this out. I glued down pieces of black card to give a chequered floor look.   I stuck this to the canvas with double-sided tape. After I had done this I thought that an alternative to this would be to mask off areas and stipple through with paint.   

My canvas now had a very monotone look to it, which I liked because the girls would be in colour and the focal point of the artwork. I sprayed the Dylusions inks through the Hippy Chick stencil onto white card and when dry I cut out the girls.  

Every disco has to have a glitter ball and so I made mine from a circle cut from white card. I drew a grid and then covered it with small pieces of foil. I painted black acrylic over the top and wiped this back with a baby wipe. 
 The words were cut from the new Tim Holtz Block Talk die.
All that was left to do was to position everything and stick it all down.

Materials
Tando Creative Mask – Andy Skinner – Hippy Chick
Windsor & Newton 20x20 cm Canvas Board
Tim Holtz Tissue wrap Melange
Tim Holtz Bigz Block Talk


See you tomorrow

7 comments:

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.